I have been watching soap operas for over twenty years. Growing up I was strictly a CBS soap watcher and just recently branched out into ABC. Then recently I was asked who my favorite daytime couple was and I drew a blank. Clearly Marah and Tony were there in the forefront of my mind but would they be number one? I had loved many couples before them, and some of these couples lasted for longer periods of time. So I began pondering the question, “What are my top 10 favorite soap couples of all time?” And crazy enough, I even learned something significant about myself as a viewer. I don’t think there is a couple on my list that can’t be classified as “angsty”. That’s right. My name is Stephanie and I am addicted to ANGST! I love it. It creates more tension than any plot point any day. The tortured couple that stares longingly at each other but can’t be together because of factors beyond their control? Sign me up!
And without further ado, My Top Ten Soap Couples of All time:
10. Nikki and Victor (Y&R) – I was going to do a detailed history of this couple, but it was simply too long!!! Victor Newman, the intimidating, often called “ruthless”, successful business tycoon always won; every deal, every argument, every business acquisition. In sharp contrast, Victor’s personal life included many marriages and divorces. But the love of his life would always be Nikki Reed, to whom he was introduced by his pal Douglas Austin when she was a stripper barely out of her teens at a strip club called “The Bayou”. Often called “Niktor” by fans, they are one of Y&R’s most recognizable couples and have remained so over 30 years. They are one of the main supercouples in that the breakup/marriage/breakup cycle is continuous but you know that Victor and Nikki will always be drawn back to each other, always. And if you are interested in some Niktor Fanfiction my good friend Pam publishes some great stuff at Cleo’s Cafe.
9. Buzz and Jenna (GL) -Jenna Bradshaw was in Springfield on and off since 1992. When she first arrived in Springfield, as a jewel thief, it was to retrieve a brooch that she had put in a carrying bag belonging to police officer Harley Cooper. As Jenna gained control of Spaulding, she was on the verge of a relationship with Buzz Cooper but she married to Roger. Buzz decided to leave them alone after learning she was pregnant. Buzz was about to propose to his ex-wife Nadine when he realized that he had to help Jenna get her marriage annulled. Jenna was now living at the firehouse with Buzz when Roger stopped by. He told her he would take the baby away when it was born. All the stress caused Jenna to have a miscarriage. In light of those events Roger and Jenna quickly got the marriage annulled. Buzz’s ex-wife Nadine convinced him to marry her on a gameshow to win money. Jenna thought it was for real, which just gave her another reason to leave town. She left town, without telling Buzz she was pregnant with his child. She later gave birth to Henry Cooper Bradshaw (Later called Coop) in Rio De Janeiro on Christmas 1994. Jenna returned to Springfield in Christmas of 1996 with her evil husband Jeffrey Morgan in tow. Knowing he was a criminal, the Coopers scammed Jeffrey in New York City and framed him for extortion using Phillip Spaulding’s bonds.Around this time Buzz fell down some stairs and suffered from amnesia. Jenna was busy getting some bad news of her own–she found out that she was pregnant with her ex-husband Jeffrey Morgan’s baby. Soon after Buzz miraculously regained his memory and opted to raise Jenna’s baby as his own. Jenna returned from a trip to England and Buzz wanted to get married As soon as they could. Jenna was hesitant but didn’t really say anything. She and Harley went to Vanessa’s first ever “Second Chances” meeting. In the middle of the meeting Jenna went into labor. Buzz showed up and went with Jenna to the hospital. He wanted to marry Jenna before the baby came. At first everyone thought that Buzz’s plans were going to be spoiled by Charles, Jenna’s doctor, but Buzz signed some papers and they were allowed to proceed with the ceremony. Harley was the maid of honor, Frank best man and anyone and everyone in that waiting room were witnesses! Soon after they became Mr. and Mrs. Buzz Cooper, Jenna gave birth to a baby boy Ian Stavros Cooper (Rocky). However, Love was not bliss for long when Jeffrey came back. He knew of Ian being his son because of overhearing Holly, the stalker, and demanded to see him at once. Jenna got in the car with him on the pretense of going to see Ian and wrecked the car. Jeffrey died but so did Jenna, she did live long enough to see Buzz and tell him she loved him and to take care of their children. The killing off of Jenna was in my opinion one of Guiding Light’s biggest blunders. Jenna and Buzz were a great couple who truly brought out the best in each other. They had great chemistry and were downright entertaining to watch. Such a sad waste of potential!
8. Will and Gwen (ATWT) – Will and Gwen were set up on a date together in 2005 that ended in disaster. Will was nursing a crush on Allison Stewart, while Gwen showed more interest in Casey Hughes, Will’s best friend. Casey and Gwen shared a secret and Casey preferred it if Gwen stayed away from his circle of friends, but nevertheless she became part of their group. It became clear that Gwen and Casey had previously slept together. While Casey wanted to leave the past behind them, Gwen had stunning news: she was pregnant. Afraid to tell Casey the truth Gwen revealed the truth to Will. Will took charge of the situation and pretended to be the baby’s father much to the displeasure of his parents. He made sure Gwen, an emancipated minor living in a tiny apartment in town, made all of her doctor’s appointments and kept her good condition for the baby. Will and Gwen stood alone, and he helped her through her difficult pregnancy. When it came to light that Gwen’s baby had been switched with Will’s nephew, Johnny Donovan, at birth, and that Gwen’s baby had died, Will still supported her and they fell in love. Despite the continued opposition from Barbara and Hal, Will married Gwen in March 2006. Gwen was determined that her and Will were going to graduate and go to college, she wanted to prove everyone wrong about them. Gwen found out Jade Taylor helped Will cheat on a test. Under pressure from Gwen to graduate Will slept with Jade who then pretended she was pregnant with his child. Gwen discovered she was pregnant with Will’s baby in August 2007. Unfortunately, she miscarried the baby. Then Barbara tells her son and Gwen that a couple wants to give up their yet unborn child for adoption. Gwen and Will have doubts since the couple wants to remain unknown, but eventually go on with the plan. What they don’t know is that this couple is in fact Sofie Duran and her boyfriend Cole Norbeck (Gwen’s half-brother). The plan was made by Barbara and Iris, who paid Cole big money for this. Sofie was told that her baby would go to a couple who also wanted to remain anonymous. Both sides continued with it all, until Alison found out about the plan. She told Gwen and Will, who confronted both their mothers with their plans. Barbara admitted that there was no other way for them to get a baby otherwise, because no agency would let them adopt a baby due to Will’s past. Will broke the bond with his mother and informed Sofie. A week later, Sofie went into labor and Gwen and Will help her deliver the baby. When Sofie is alone in her bedroom she cries for Cole, who left town, and for knowing she can’t raise this baby. Back at home, Gwen breaks down in Will’s arms because she still wants this baby. Sofie makes a decision. She tells Gwen and Will that she will give them her baby, if she gets to be a part of her life. Sophie signed away her rights to the baby, and Will and Gwen named her Hallie Jennifer Munson in honor of Will’s father and sister. As Sophie became more and more emotionally involved in Hallie’s life, Will and Gwen asked her to step away for a while; as a result, Sophie became depressed. Sophie decided that she wanted to sue for custody of Hallie. Her feelings of depression and abandonment increased when Aaron testified on Will and Gwen’s behalf, and the judge awarded the Munsons custody. Gwen started to feel guilty about keeping Hallie from Sophie, but Will wanted to keep her. Gwen gave Sophie custody illegally, and despite Will’s anger he still loved her. When Hallie got sick again, and Will and Gwen provided care for her, Sophie realized that they were the best parents for her and they could provide her with the best life. Will and Gwen left town with Hallie soon after. I typically don’t like teenage romances but Will and Gwen were hard to resist. I loved them. I loved how even with all the obstacles thrown their way Will and Gwen made it through all the pain and heartbreak to become a strong united front.
7. CJ and Becky (B&B)- Clarke Jr. was born to Sally Spectra and Clarke Garrison. Not long after C.J.’s birth, Clarke left town. C.J. grew into a disobedient child in his early teens, having a cynical view on the world. CJ spent most of 1998 and 1999 as Amber’s shoulder to cry on as she became pregnant and married Rick. Amber was in the middle of a very complicated web of lies about the paternity of her son. The baby’s natural mother, her cousin Becky Moore, had just arrived in town. To keep her busy, Amber set her up with C.J. On that first date, they made out, but it never amounted to anything. Months later, Becky had shed her white trash roots for a makeover, as well as getting her son back from Amber, C.J. spent a great deal of time with her. They fell in love quickly, their relationship helping C.J. make the final transition from wise cracking boy to mature, thoughtful man. Unfortunately, Becky was dying of pancreatic cancer. Amber tried to keep the cancer a secret from Becky and everyone else, but broke down and eventually told C.J. Instead of telling her, he proposed marriage, wanting to make her final weeks happy. Becky learned of her cancer minutes before the wedding, but married CJ anyway. She died soon after, at peace, surrounded by her family and friends. Though Becky was only on for a year, and their relationship was short-lived it made a real impact. It was heartfelt and gut-wrenching watching two young people find love and then seeing it ripped away so suddenly. And Becky’s deathbed scene will be one of the soap memories that sticks with me forever. C.J. would go on and develop feelings for Amber and almost marry her but Becky will forever be the love of C.J.’s life even though he hasn’t been on canvas since 2010.
6. Alan-Michael and Lucy (GL)- Alan-Michael Spaulding met Lucy Cooper by almost running her down with his car the night she came to Springfield. Alan-Michael took a liking to Lucy right off and gave her a place to stay until she got settled in town. Their friendship blossomed into a dating relationship. During, their dating romance Alan-Michael learned that Lucy was a virgin. Even though Alan-Michael understood her hesitance, he was put off by her virginity. He didn’t want the responsibility of taking Lucy’s virginity because she made it clear that she wanted her first time to be with the man she would marry. Lucy fell in love with Alan-Michael, but he couldn’t return the feelings because he was still in love with Eleni, his ex-wife and Lucy’s sister-in-law. Time passed and Lucy became bound and determined not to waste her life mooning over Alan-Michael Spaulding. She started placing ads in the personals and using dating services to find the man of her dreams. During this time, Alan-Michael had finally become President of Spaulding Enterprises, something he dreamed of his whole life. Unfortunately, this put the dynamic duo in a stressful situation. Lucy was now Alan-Michael’s assistant. For awhile, they were able to have a professional relationship without getting personal until Lucy met Brent Lawrence, an up and coming IT executive at Spaulding. By now, Alan-Michael realized he was in love with Lucy but wasn’t able to confess his love for her and was dismayed when she started dating Brent. He was jealous and when he saw Lucy and Brent kissing in the office, he reprimanded them and after a talk with Alan-Michael, Lucy realized there was no future with him. Devastated, Alan-Michael finally decided to confess his love for Lucy, but when he did so in her apartment, she seemed upset and ran off, leaving Alan-Michael to believe that something was wrong because of Brent. Later, during a business-trip to Brent’s hometown in Florida, Alan-Michael learned how Brent treated women, so he fired him. When Brent threatened Lucy in her apartment, Alan-Michael arrived and learned why Lucy had been upset– Brent had raped Lucy! Thanks to Lucy, Alan-Michael soon realized that Brent had gained access to Lucy’s computer to manipulate the numbers. Lucy had the real financial information on a disk and when Brent was about to get this disk from Lucy, he confessed his schemes to her and a hiding Alan-Michael overheard everything and got Brent’s confession on tape. Frank and Buzz forced Brent to leave town for Seattle and Alan-Michael and Lucy reunited. When Alan-Michael and Lucy got engaged, they thought that Lucy was HIV+, thanks to Marian’s manipulations, A devastated Alan-Michael supported Lucy and to everyone’s delight, a third test finally came back negative and everyone realized that someone was manipulating the two tests before. In January 1996, Alan-Michael and others were further shocked to learn that Marian was actually a very much alive Brent in disguise! Not long after, in attendance of half of Springfield, Alan-Michael and Lucy finally married at the Universal Studios in Florida. One day, Alan-Michael accidentally overheard Alan telling Amanda how he was manipulating Alan-Michael and would still destroy Buzz, so Alan-Michael disowned his father again. He and Lucy moved out of the Spaulding house and teamed up with the 5th Street occupants to rescue 5th Street. Alan-Michael was trying to prevent Phillip from returning to Spaulding and this lead to tension with Lucy, who liked Phillip and reprimanded Alan-Michael’s behavior. Alan-Michael became Phillip’s prime suspect. When Phillip seemed intent on destroying Alan-Michael, Alan-Michael retaliated by trying to get rid of Phillip. In the end, it was discovered that Alan was the one who set Phillip up. In February 1996, Alan-Michael and Lucy decided they were tired of all the power plays at Spaulding and moved to France. In 2005, the Spaulding and Coopers would learn that Alan-Michael and Lucy had separated. Alan-Michael and Lucy Cooper were a great couple that started out as friends and slowly blossomed into more. Though it took Alan-Michael a long time to come to terms with his feelings he finally got there and they were happy together. Though they supposedly divorced offscreen Alan-Michael returned in 2005 recast and more devious. But memories of how he used to be, and his warm and loving romance with Lucy still prevail. On of my favorite LAM quotes: “Alan-Michael: Lucy I have lied! I have manipulated people just like [Alan] does! Lucy: But you’re not lying anymore and you have never lied to me. Alan-Michael: No, not to you. Never to you.”
5. Thorne and Macy- Macy first met Thorne Forrester in a bar as she was walking out while he bumped into her. They had a series of accidental meetings then they ran into each other again at the Bikini Bar, each nursing their own broken heart—Thorne for his soon-to-be-ex-wife Caroline and Macy for Mick Savage, a photographer who had run out on her. They spent the night together at Big Bear, but neither intended for it to be more until they cohosted a benefit together and discovered they both loved singing. After dating for some time, Thorne proposed to Macy, but there was one problem – Macy had never told Thorne that she was Sally Spectra’s daughter because the Forresters would never have accepted the truth. Macy accepted Thorne’s proposal, but while telling her mother, Sally revealed that Eye on Fashion had a picture of Clarke and Sally’s wedding, which included Macy. When Thorne, who had found out from his family, confronted her, she admitted who she was and returned the ring. Macy was heartbroken to have lost Thorne, but within a few weeks, Thorne’s first wife Caroline died and Thorne, with Sally’s help, came back to Macy begging for another shot. Their wedding plans didn’t go as smoothly as they wanted. While Macy’s family supported them, only Thorne’s sister Felicia was willing to be part of their wedding. Macy and Thorne decided to have a church ceremony, and they were pleasantly surprised when Thorne’s entire family showed up. Unfortunately, the Forrester’s could not truly accept Macy as Thorne’s wife, and Macy and Thorne were constantly arguing over what her mother was up to, and the two separated. After waiting in vain for Thorne to come to her (he was waiting for the same thing), Macy got involved with tennis pro Jake Maclaine who had recently broken up with Felicia. Thorne finally came to her and asked her to come back, but by then it had been too long, and Macy opted to stay with Jake. It wasn’t long before she regretted her decision and went home to Thorne, who welcomed her back with open arms. Their happiness didn’t last long, because they couldn’t stop the fighting and Thorne soon fell for Karen. Macy and Thorne again reunited, only this time Anthony Armando came between them … that, and Macy’s alcoholism. When Macy and Thorne began singing together again, they once again renewed their relationship. Although they hit a bump in the road with Macy’s throat cancer, it wasn’t long before the two married yet again. When Thorne got himself involved with Claudia Cortéz , a Forrester employee who was in the country illegally, it was the last straw, and Macy and Thorne’s already tenuous relationship broke. When Macy was having trouble getting pregnant, they decided to go to the doctor for tests, and learned that Grant had cancer, and he didn’t have long to live. Macy was devastated! Macy stayed by his side for the remaining time he had left, but when Grant died, she turned back to the bottle. Thorne was there to help pull her out, and the two were soon back together, planning a wedding and a future. Unfortunately, Thorne’s former sister-in-law Brooke had set her sights on Thorne, and Brooke worked behind the scenes until she came between Thorne and Macy, and the two broke up. Macy thought it was over until she got a call from Thorne, and assuming he and Brooke were finished, Macy married Thorne in Amsterdam. Romantically, it wasn’t long before Macy realized that Thorne had married her on the rebound and had no intention of stopping his relationship with Brooke Logan. She began to drink more heavily, which was not helped by Brooke flaunting her relationship with Thorne. Macy finally went up to Big Bear to say goodbye to Thorne and was ready to sign the divorce papers when Brooke arrived demanding that Macy let Thorne go so she could have him. Furious, Macy took off in the car, with Brooke tagging along so she could force her to sign the papers. After a horrible car accident, Macy was presumed dead. Much to everyone’s surprise, it turned out that Macy was alive and well. She was noticed by Thorne when she was singing in a small Italian café, and when her mother Sally had a heart attack, she returned to Los Angeles with Lorenzo, who soon became her husband. Thorne wasted no time in telling her that since she never signed the divorce papers they were still legally married, and after Macy realized she could never love Lorenzo the way she loved Thorne, Lorenzo left town and Macy and Thorne reunited. Unfortunately, at a time when he thought they were broken up, Thorne had indulged in a one-night stand with Macy’s best friend Darla. Around the same time Macy was having an emergency hysterectomy, Darla was discovering she was pregnant with Thorne’s child. Although the plan was initially for Macy and Thorne to adopt the child (without Macy knowing Thorne was the father), once the truth came out Macy could no longer be part of Thorne’s life and asked him for an annulment. Macy agreed to perform on opening night, but enemies from Oscar Marone’s past tampered with the chandelier that night, which fell, severely injuring Macy. Although Macy hung on in the hospital in a coma for a few days, she never woke up, and her mother had to make the choice of whether or not to take her off life support; Sally’s actual choice has never been revealed, but Macy is generally assumed to be dead. Thorne and Macy had a very back and forth, on and off relationship. Macy was sweet and loving which was what Thorne needed but would foolishly throw away. But they were a great couple when they were together.
4. Chloe and Billy (Y&R) – One night after discovering she was pregnant, Chloe setup Cane to get drunk, then offered him a ride home. When Cane passed out in her car, she made it look as though they had sex when Cane awoke. Chloe chose the occasion to announce her pregnancy by Cane just as Cane was proposing to Lily. Lily insisted on a prenatal paternity test, and when it came back not ruling out Cane as the father, she gave Cane back his ring and told him he should marry the mother of his child instead. Cane gave Chloe the ring and moved her into the back room of his house, claiming to be doing it for the child. Chloe began flaunting the ring and her pregnancy with a Chancellor heir all around Genoa City. Cane and Chloe were married by a Justice of the Peace. His mother Jill and Grandmother Kay decided to make the best of it since Cane had just been named CEO of Jabot and renamed their engagement party to a wedding reception. Chloe played sick to not attend, but Cane discovered her lie. But when Chloe showed up with Cane, Esther was shocked to find that Chloe was actually her daughter Kate! Cane was mostly tolerating Chloe and still pining for Lily. Chloe told Esther she would never get over her resentment for being shipped off to boarding school all her life, but Esther said she did it for her own good, so she wouldn’t end up like her. Chloe told her that a guy who was selfish, arrogant, and unfaithful broke her heart (obviously Billy) and she would never love anyone else again, including Cane. From flashbacks it was obvious that Billy was the father of Chloe’s baby and that she set up their first meeting in New York City. They had an affair, she got into his email, discovered that he cheated on her breaking her heart, then she stalked him. Yet Billy was still her occasional “booty call” up until she discovered she was pregnant. Cane invited Billy and “his girlfriend” over for drinks to get to know him and his wife Chloe, unaware that his ex-wife Amber was Billy’s girlfriend, and that Chloe had a past with Billy. Billy confronted Chloe the next day accusing her of just wanting to bag a Chancellor. Billy tried to convince Cane that he didn’t mind that Cane took over Jabot, and Cane talked Billy into taking the Director of Marketing position, with emphasis on the new teen line Starblaze. Cane and Chloe began getting along well in anticipation of their baby. But one day Lily came by, and during an argument with Chloe, Chloe fell from a ladder and had to be taken to the hospital. Her baby was OK, but she was confined to bed-rest with rare occasions on her feet. During her hospitalization, Billy got a nurse to admit the due date was incorrect, and realized that he was the father, but said nothing to Chloe. After some time they were getting serious so they went up to the Abbott cabin at Twin Lakes to be alone. But Billy felt he had to confess to Lily about Chloe’s baby before going any further. Lily was shocked and accused Billy of plotting with Chloe to break up her and Cane. About that time Chloe walked in the door of the cabin, and before she could join the conversation, went into labor. Unable to drive out due to a storm, Billy had to turn and deliver his daughter while being talked through it by Olivia on Lily’s cell phone. Cane contacted Michael to get custody of Cordelia, and Billy contacted Rafe to see what his rights were too. Since Cane was divorcing Chloe and they had nowhere to go, Esther brought Chloe and her granddaughter home to the estate. After spending the night before with Sharon, Billy married Chloe to be able to fight Cane for custody of Cordelia. Just as the ceremony ended, because Brock let her know that Katherine was alive, Mac showed up at the Chancellor mansion. Mac resisted Billy’s advances, and when he grabbed and kissed her, she slapped him. Chloe saw it, kissed his smarting cheek, and took him home. But when they met to sign the divorce papers, Billy started remembering the good times in the past, and backed out making excuses. So Chloe decided to use Chance to make Billy jealous and stay with her and Delia. Billy went back and signed the next day, but Chloe never did and they remained legally married though separated…. Though Chloe would finally sign the papers and go on to date Chance and Billy would marry Victoria Newman (UGH) Billy and Chloe still have a lot of potential. They are both grey characters who are not above playing dirty to suit their needs, well Billy used to before Victoria took his manhood. Even more crazy is that both ACTORS want a “Chilly” reunion as well. Billy was living in the past and not seeing that Chloe was the woman for him. And yet fans are still holding strong years later to see these two reunited. Because as Billy said to Chloe, “You and I? We’re from the dark side baby.”
3. Danny and Michelle (GL) – Mick Santos, a member of the infamous Santos crime family, arrived in Springfield. After bullying his way into working at Millennium, he managed to make enemies of everyone around him, including Michelle. One night, Mick attacked Michelle and Drew at the beach and, trying to get him away from Michelle, Drew hit him over the head with a rock. Noticing that he was still conscious and now going after Drew, Michelle hit him again. The two ran away, leaving an unconscious Mick on the ground. Later that evening, they learned that he had been found dead and the search was on for his killer. Then Mick’s brother, Danny, came to town determined to avenge his brother’s death and began bartending at Millennium. Learning Michelle killed Mick, Danny went after her and confronted her about what had happened with Mick. First denying any part in it, Michelle finally broke down and told Danny the whole truth and began begging him to spare her life. Believing her story and obviously torn over his growing feelings for her, Danny agreed to help her. He told her that the only way he could keep from being forced to kill her would be to marry her, as his wife, Michelle would be safe from his family. She agreed and the two were married on New Year’s Day 1999 in a civil ceremony. However, Danny’s mother, Carmen, who was the head of the mob, hated Michelle for killing her first-born son and set out to prove that she and Danny’s marriage was one of convenience. So Michelle agreed to another wedding ceremony with Danny, a religious one. As Michelle was agonizing over her marriage and her separation from Jesse, she was beginning to realize that Danny was actually falling in love with her. When asked by Danny’s cousin, Ray, if she loved Danny, Michelle wasn’t able to say no. Over the course of several weeks, Michelle tried to deny her feelings for Danny, while Jesse tried to deny his feelings for Drew. Eventually, the pair parted ways amicably and Michelle professed her love for Danny. Unfortunately, Danny refused to go back to her since he knew she was trying to change him and he served her with annulment papers. However, when he discovered that Carmen was plotting to kill Michelle, Danny rushed in to save her and declared his love, promising that he’d leave his family for her. Then Danny’s ex, Theresa Sandoval, was hired by Carmen to break up Michelle and Danny, Although Michelle was suspicious of Theresa, Danny trusted her and let her help him find a new career for himself. Unfortunately, his trust in Theresa almost cost him his life when a drug slipped in his drink by Theresa almost killed him.Michelle, already the victim of several life-threatening attempts by Carmen, was paranoid that Carmen was alive and would come after her. Soon after, Michelle became pregnant again, and Michelle left Danny so that she their baby wouldn’t grow up with the influence of the Santos. Danny told Michelle it was over between them and returned to a life in the mob. but, Michelle was unable to let go of her marriage, though, and she continued to pursue him and eventually won him back in 2001 after the birth of their son, Robert Frederico. Michelle also became concerned as Danny was once again drawn into the Santos family, due to his cousin Tony’s arrest and Maria’s stroke. Then suddenly Danny was assumed dead. After his funeral, a distraught Michelle was shocked to learn from Ed that Danny faked his death after being shot by Carmen and rescued by Cassie. Due to their lifelong bond and the approval of both of their families, Michelle grew closer to Bill in early 2003. She felt that dating Bill was only natural but soon she began to grow jealous of Danny’s business partnership with Cassie. Michelle and Bill almost made love, but when she couldn’t fully concentrate on their lovemaking or whom she wanted to be with, he walked out on her. Later Danny and Michelle finally reconciled. Unfortunately, Danny’s involvement would have dire consequences for Michelle when one night she became suspicious of what he’d be doing. Although Danny, and even Tony, tried to persuade her to go home and stay away from Salerno’s, she was convinced that Danny would be doing something dangerous and followed him. While looking for him in an abandoned warehouse, Michelle was suddenly caught in an explosion! That same night, Michelle finally came out of her coma. Although she now had no memory of her life, there was one thing she did remember–her rescuer, Tony. Feeling pressure from her well-meaning family and friends for her to begin to regain her memories, Michelle lashed out at everyone, except Tony. Michelle bristled under Danny’s tendency to hide the truth from her, and asked Tony to take her away. Tony then took her to Laurel Falls on his motorcycle and when she asked him for the whole truth about her life. Tony revealed that Danny was in the mob and had a mother who tried to kill Michelle. When confronted, Michelle hedged at first but then confessed she fears that her memories could get in the way of her relationship with Tony. Tony assured her that nothing could come between them, unaware that Michelle’s memories of Danny were becoming more romantic. Michelle visited Danny at one of his renovation sites to tell him the news. After absorbing the information, Danny gave her his blessing. Then suddenly, the braces holding up the ceiling of the townhouse gave way and Danny and Michelle found the roof caving in on them. Danny pulled Michelle from the wreckage of the collapsed roof. After coming to, Michelle shocked him by pulling him into a breathtaking kiss and telling him that her memory was completely back! Caught up in the moment, Danny and Michelle made love amid the wreckage. But, in the after glow of their blissful moment, reality set in and they remembered Marina and Tony. Although still very conflicted about what to do, Danny and Michelle finally decided to finalize the divorce. Although she was now free to marry Tony and even made plans to marry him in Vegas, Michelle couldn’t go through with it since she realized she still loved Danny. The day of their return, Tony took Michelle to Laurel Falls and begged her to remember that she loved him also. Tony ended up falling off the cliff, resulting in his death. Later, Danny and Michelle would go on to reconcile with their newborn daughter Hope. They would leave town in 2005, not returning until the final days of Guiding Light. Though not an official supercouple I still consider them one. “Manny” was incredibly popular with viewers, and I enjoyed how how Danny/Michelle and Tony/Marah were a new “foursome” of both friendship and family. Which is why in my fanfics the family/friendship element is still very much intact.
2. Marah and Tony (GL) – I think a long post on the history of this couple and why I love them is pretty self explanatory by now. People are probably tired of hearing me gush about my love of Marony…but I’m gonna do it anyways. Tony and Marah were two characters who were meant to be but who were never given a real chance to be happy, at least not for longer than a few months. Throuhout most of their relationship they had to face the opposition from Marah’s parents, and then there was Tony’s anger issues which werealso connected to the problems faced by his cousin’s relationship with Michelle, the mob ties. But these two always knew they were “it” for each other which made their ending that much worse.
1. Josh and Reva (GL) – I am sure everyone thought Marah and Tony would be in the top spot but I couldn’t in good conscience do that. Not without considering JEVA. Their relationship would take years to write but suffice to say they had many ups and downs, many breakups and marriages. Josh grew up wealthy and Reva was poor so they were an opposites attract pairing from day one. Of course Reva marrying Josh’s father (and brother) didn’t help matters. But no matter what, no matter who they were married to, Josh and Reva were soul mates which was why when Guiding Light ended they rode off together in search of adventure.